Home » Infrastructure » Windows » could not install oracle
could not install oracle [message #377189] Sun, 21 December 2008 08:55 Go to next message
venkatesh_b87
hi i am using a hp laptop which had vista home basic preinstalled. but i had downgraded it to xp-pro and tried to install oracle10g and also oracle 8, but none of them were successful. when i click the setup.exe file, the process does not start. actually i could observe in task manager that the setup.exe file is included once i start the installation, but in a second or two the process ends automatically . i could not guess where the problem is. please help me install oracle. thanks.
Re: could not install oracle [message #377198 is a reply to message #377189] Sun, 21 December 2008 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
venkatesh_b87 wrote on Sun, 21 December 2008 09:55
i had downgraded it to xp-pro

You mean you "upgraded" to XP-Pro Smile

What type of processor does your laptop have ?
Re: could not install oracle [message #377210 is a reply to message #377189] Sun, 21 December 2008 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
All I can suggest is that you check to see that you are trying to install the correct version for your operating system and that your system meets the minimum requirements for disk space and processor speed. Why did you downgrade? I am running Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition on a Dell laptop with Windows Vista Home Basic with no problems. Why not just install 11g on Vista instead of 10g on XP? If for some reason you are short on disk space and processor speed, then you might try 10g Express Edition. I used to run 10g Express with Windows XP on a Sony Vaio Notebook computer with minimal disk space and ram. I do recall that I used to have to make sure very little else was running at the same time. I also had problems getting a complete download. You might want to check the size of what you downloaded against the size it is supposed to be to make sure you got a complete copy. Utilities like GetRight or the DownThemAll plug-in for Firefox can fix download problems.

Re: could not install oracle [message #377211 is a reply to message #377189] Sun, 21 December 2008 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
venkatesh_b87
no i had downgraded from vista basic to xp-pro. it has intel dual-core with 3gb ram. i had to move to xp as i had so many issues using vista basic. i can continue with xp only, please suggest some other ways of doing the installation.
Re: could not install oracle [message #377214 is a reply to message #377211] Sun, 21 December 2008 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
I assume that is a 64-bit processor?? Did you verify that you downloaded the 64-bit binaries ? After download, you should verify the checksum.
Re: could not install oracle [message #377330 is a reply to message #377214] Mon, 22 December 2008 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
venkatesh_b87
thanks...i somehow managed to install oracle successfully by selecting the setup file located inside "install" folder. but if i give login details in sql page, it says TNS no listener . i have checked in services from admin tools and found that it is stopped and i could not start it manually. when tried manually it says that some services are stopped if they have no work. what can i do. help me please..
Re: could not install oracle [message #377992 is a reply to message #377330] Sat, 27 December 2008 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramesh_samane
I have also problem installing Oracle 10g on Vista Home Basic on HP Dual Core 2 laptop.

I have used "compatibility assistant wizard" and set the option to run the installation process in XP mode. Now I could install the Oracle server successfully but when I tried creating database using DBCA (DB config Asst) it gives me "TNS permission denied" error.

I have changed the owner of the drive where I have installed Oracle to the ADMIN owner. Also changed the owner of Oracle folder to ADMIN. Still the same problem.

Can someone guide me please. I need it to be done urgently. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ramesh
Re: could not install oracle [message #378021 is a reply to message #377992] Sat, 27 December 2008 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
ramesh_samane wrote on Sat, 27 December 2008 07:52
I have also problem installing Oracle 10g on Vista Home Basic on HP Dual Core 2 laptop.

I have used "compatibility assistant wizard" and set the option to run the installation process in XP mode. Now I could install the Oracle server successfully but when I tried creating database using DBCA (DB config Asst) it gives me "TNS permission denied" error.

I have changed the owner of the drive where I have installed Oracle to the ADMIN owner. Also changed the owner of Oracle folder to ADMIN. Still the same problem.

Can someone guide me please. I need it to be done urgently. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ramesh

Do you need 10g? Why not install 11g? If you need 10g, then you need to make sure you install the correct version that is compatible with Windows Vista, instead of using the unreliable "compatibility assistant wizard". If for some strange reason, like matching another system, you have to have an incompatible version of 10g, then you need to downgrade the whole operating system. In any case, check the certification matrices and minimum requirements carefully and make sure you get the correction version, edition, and so forth, as there are various ones. Don't expect to do an installation under the wrong user, then change the user, and expect it to work. Pay close attention to any warnings, such as those about loopback adapters and such, and follow instructions. At this point, I would say you need to uninstall everything, start over with the correct version under the correct user and redo the whole installation.

Re: could not install oracle [message #378085 is a reply to message #377189] Sun, 28 December 2008 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramesh_samane
Thanks for the reply.

I think I will install XP and install 10g on it. I need to have 10g not 11g.

VISTA Home Basic has several other problems. I think it is not yet stabilized. Need to wait. I know that Oracle 10g version for Vista is also available, but I will better not try it this time.

Thanks again.

Ragards,

Ramesh
Re: could not install oracle [message #378086 is a reply to message #378085] Sun, 28 December 2008 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Did you read the OS requirements to install 10gR2 on Vista?
Home Basic is not supported.

Regards
Michel
Re: could not install oracle [message #378090 is a reply to message #378085] Sun, 28 December 2008 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
ramesh_samane wrote on Sun, 28 December 2008 11:21

I think I will install XP

VISTA Home Basic has several other problems. I think it is not yet stabilized.

Good decision. I'm glad I went back to XP from Vista.

Even Bill Gates thinks Vista was a flop for Microsoft.
Re: could not install oracle [message #378094 is a reply to message #378090] Sun, 28 December 2008 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I have been running Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition on Windows Vista Home Basic with no problems for a long time. I paid close attention to the messages during installation, including the directions to install a loopback adapter, and have had no problems.

You can also run 10g on Windows Vista, but you have to have support so that you can download the patch from Metalink and install it:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle10g/htdocs/10203vista.html

Re: could not install oracle [message #378096 is a reply to message #378094] Sun, 28 December 2008 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
From Oracle:
Quote:
Oracle Database is certified to run on the Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions of Microsoft Windows Vista.

Regards
Michel
Re: could not install oracle [message #378097 is a reply to message #378094] Sun, 28 December 2008 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
I had VUE however, it wasn't an Oracle/Vista thing that made me "upgrade" back to XP, it was Vista/Vista thing.

As Mr. Gates alluded to himself, Vista was released well before it was ready. SP1 helped it some, however Microsoft realizes the O/S itself has issues, that's why Microsoft is racing to get Windows 7 to market.
Re: could not install oracle [message #378099 is a reply to message #378096] Sun, 28 December 2008 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Michel Cadot wrote on Sun, 28 December 2008 12:25
From Oracle:
Quote:
Oracle Database is certified to run on the Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions of Microsoft Windows Vista.

Can you provide a link to a publicly available official source of that quote? Or is it only available on Metalink? Or was it verbal? There is no mention of any such restriction in the certification matrix:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/support/metalink/index.html

Certify - Certification Matrix: Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition on Microsoft Windows Vista (x86)

Server Certifications

OS 	Product 	Certified With 	Version 	Status 	Addtl. Info. 	Components 	Other
Vista 	11gR1 	        N/A 	        N/A          Certified 	Yes 	        None 	        None

Windows Vista Home Basic lacks networking capabilities, so it can only be used as a standalone, but it works just fine as a standalone. I have been running it for about a year now. I believe that the only reason people say it is not certified is because you cannot use features that require networking, but you can use everything else. It has been the same with prior home editions, such as Windows XP Home, on which I used to run 9i Enterprise Edition and 10g Express Edition. So, for anyone who has Windows Vista Home Basic on their home computer, I don't see any problem with installing Oracle as a standalone, so that they can test code, do homework, have their own little database to experiment with, or whatever.

[Updated on: Sun, 28 December 2008 17:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: could not install oracle [message #378127 is a reply to message #378099] Mon, 29 December 2008 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I meant to provide a link, but it is useless: http://www.oracle.com/technology/support/metalink/index.html will always open Oracle's Certification Matrices homepage. Therefore, I have taken a screenshot - I hope that it doesn't violate anything, as it is - after all - legally available to anyone with the Internet connection (no Oracle Metalink ID is necessary). However, if I'm wrong about it, please, remove the image.

Here it is:

/forum/fa/5493/0/

Also, although it is not related to this problem, why would Oracle (or anyone else) discourage installing a patch which will significantly IMPROVE performance (blue marked lines)?
Re: could not install oracle [message #378128 is a reply to message #378099] Mon, 29 December 2008 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Can you provide a link to a publicly available official source of that quote?

Yes, I quoted from http://www.oracle.com/technology/support/metalink/index.html for XE.

For other editions, there is:
Quote:
General Notes For Oracle Database - ### Edition On Microsoft Windows Vista (x86):
O/S Information:
Oracle Database (EE, SE, PE and Client) are supported on these platforms:
Business edition
Enterprise Edition
Ultimate Edition

Replace ### by Entreprise, Personal, Standard, I checked all of them and get the same thing.

This is on the page before you choose the version(s) and get the matrix.

Regards
Michel
Re: could not install oracle [message #378137 is a reply to message #378127] Mon, 29 December 2008 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
@Littlefoot.

Ah, an almost legalese sentence.

They don't only discourage, they also recomend.

They will recomend or discourage ... if it influences positively or negatively.

Re: could not install oracle [message #378140 is a reply to message #378137] Mon, 29 December 2008 02:19 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
/forum/fa/1587/0/ Thank you, Thomas!
Previous Topic: Unable to connect with MS-ODBC to Oracle DB
Next Topic: TNS: protocol adapter error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:09:08 CDT 2024