Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Questions about Client/Server
Questions about Client/Server [message #132601] Mon, 15 August 2005 02:14 Go to next message
superfool
I am a newbie
I have installed Oracle 9i DB, OAS 9i, ODS 9i.
and I can run Oracle Froms 9i via Web sucessfully.

My questions are,

1. If I want to run Forms 6i, what I need to install more? It seems 6i forms need ifrun6i.exe to run.

2. does 6i forms only can be run in Client/server mode? and 9i can only run in Browser/Server mode? if 9i can run in Client Server mode, how? or another way to ask, can 9i forms' applet run outside the browser? if yes, how?

3, I ever saw a Forms 11i application, It was started in the IE browser, and after started, it runs like a Client/Server applicaton. I don't know how this can be done. Is it use Java Web Start? or something else?

can anybody give me a hand? many thanks.
Re: Questions about Client/Server [message #132603 is a reply to message #132601] Mon, 15 August 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
1) To run 6i you need to install 6i - it will go into its own Oracle home.

2) 6i can run client/server and three tier. 9i can only run in browser/server/database mode. 9i always run via its Java applet.

3) To my knowledge, Oracle Applications 11i is GUI but with mouse navigation turned off and using fixed fonts.

David
Re: Questions about Client/Server [message #132925 is a reply to message #132603] Tue, 16 August 2005 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
superfool
Thanks, David.

I've installed forms 6i, and I can run a test forms in ifrun60.exe now.

do you know How I can build an exe file in forms 6i?
Re: Questions about Client/Server [message #132927 is a reply to message #132925] Tue, 16 August 2005 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Forms can not be run as an 'exe'. The executible for forms is an 'fmx' and needs the Forms environment to run.

On how to build a form, go to http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/forms.html. Find 'Guidelines for Building Applications'. Download it and read. Also go to http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/ids/index.html and look for the sample code and tutorial links.

David
Re: Questions about Client/Server [message #132928 is a reply to message #132927] Tue, 16 August 2005 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
superfool
Laughing

I know how to build a form and make a fmx, and I can run a fmx in forms' runtime(ifrun60).

but I ever saw an forms 6i application, which started from an exe file. it seems it link the fmx with the ifrun60 together automactically.

if we want to deploy a forms 6i application, normally what would it be? I mean the client/server mode. would it be an exe file, or just a .bat or .cmd file?
Re: Questions about Client/Server [message #132931 is a reply to message #132928] Tue, 16 August 2005 21:53 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
To deploy a 6i application you would normally distribute the fmx files to a network server in the user environment. Make sure that the file server is NOT an NT box as NT is not NT compatible. Normally, a 'nix 'file share' is best.

For running a form look at the FAQ http://www.orafaq.com/faq/forms. For 6i you would run f60run followed by the userid and module name.

You also have registry entries that need to be set and this is done during the run time install.

David
Previous Topic: can i conneect form 5.0 with oracle 9i
Next Topic: How to create a Status bar?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 22:44:19 CDT 2024