Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Regarding Hint text seting
Regarding Hint text seting [message #172042] Sat, 13 May 2006 09:25 Go to next message
saravanan_sr
Hi all,

I am calling a procedure in in the 'WHEN-NEW-ITEM-INSTANCE' of custom.pll.

In that procedure my requirement is to set and show the hint
dynamically based on the value in the current field. After showing the hint i have to reset the hint_text and auto_hint property of the item to the original value. These all things has to be done within the 'WHEN-NEW-ITEM-INSTANCE' event itself. I tried with the synchronize built-in. In that i am not able to reset the auto_hint property of the item (i.e) If i reset the auto_hint property to off, no hint is displayed in the hint line.

Any body have solution for this issue please let me know.

Thanks in Advance,
saravanan
Re: Regarding Hint text seting [message #172069 is a reply to message #172042] Sun, 14 May 2006 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Please post the code that your are using.

You can not both turn the hing on and turn the hint off in the same trigger. Turn it on in the WNII trigger and turn it off in either the WNII of the other items or in the Post-Text-Item trigger of this item.

David
Re: Regarding Hint text seting [message #172073 is a reply to message #172069] Sun, 14 May 2006 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saravanan_sr
Thanks for your reply Mr.Martin

Here I have posted my code which i am calling in WNII event of CUSTOM.pll.
PROCEDURE disp_hint_pr (p_value IN VARCHAR2,
  			p_field_name IN VARCHAR2) IS
l_string VARCHAR2(1000) := NULL;   
l_org_hnt_txt VARCHAR2(500) := NULL;
l_org_aut_hnt VARCHAR2(10) := NULL;
BEGIN
l_org_hnt_txt := Get_Item_Property(p_field_name,HINT_TEXT);
l_org_aut_hnt := Get_Item_Property(p_field_name,AUTO_HINT);
l_isbn_string := util_pkg.get_hint_fn(p_field_name,
				      p_value,
				      l_org_hnt_txt,
				      l_org_aut_hnt);
Set_Item_Property(p_field_name, HINT_TEXT,l_string); 
Set_Item_Property(p_field_name, AUTO_HINT, PROPERTY_ON);
Synchronize;
Set_Item_Property(p_field_name,HINT_TEXT,l_org_hnt_txt);
IF l_org_aut_hnt = 'TRUE' THEN	
   Set_Item_Property(p_field_name,AUTO_HINT,PROPERTY_TRUE);	
ELSE
   Set_Item_Property(p_field_name,AUTO_HINT,PROPERTY_FALSE); END IF;
END disp_hint_pr;

Using synchronize built-in i am able to reset the original hint text of the field in the same event while my hint is displayed in the hint line. but i am not able to reset the AUTO_HINT property of the item. If i reset the AUTO_HINT to off nothing was displayed in the hint line. There is no other option other than WNII. I am mainly worrying about if there any logic based on the hint text of the field, it will create impact on existing logic of that particular form. This functionlity is available to mostly all of the oracle standard forms. Thats why i want to reset the hint text within the WNII itself.

Another thing i want to ask about this. i am using synchronize built-in. Is there any impact on performance.

Thanks in advance,
saravanan

[Updated on: Mon, 15 May 2006 07:37] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Regarding Hint text seting [message #172186 is a reply to message #172073] Mon, 15 May 2006 07:43 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Quote:

There is no other option other than WNII.
I do not agree with this statement. I feel that you can reset the hint in a number of other places including creating a timer so that the hint is turned off 10 or 15 or 20 seconds later. I still feel that turning the hint off in a trigger that fires later is the better way to do this.

Yes 'synchronize' does have an impact on performance but it is typically very slight. IF you were to issue MANY of them, for example, in a Post-Query trigger, then you may see the impact. Each 'synchronize' causes of a screen refresh and in 6i or higher in a 3-tier environment, that requires a full 'round trip' between the PC and the Application Server.

David
Previous Topic: LOV MultiLanguage Problem & Control of the Alerts (merged)
Next Topic: Need D2K Tutorial
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 09:49:54 CDT 2024