Home » Developer & Programmer » Data Integration » Advice me
Advice me [message #175752] Mon, 05 June 2006 04:22 Go to next message
navkrish

All,
I have around 2.5 years of experience in oracle pl/sql...
Now I have been offered to work in Data warehousing tool (COGNOS)...I am pretty confused whether to grasp the offer or not...
I am basically interested in database.. Don’t know whether the new job will distract or deviate my current profile...
Anyone pls advice me on this.... Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

navkrish
Re: Advice me [message #175855 is a reply to message #175752] Mon, 05 June 2006 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
narenbaba
Hi,

If the back end is Oracle, you need not worry..your PL/SQL skills will surely handy ..Yumm learning new tech also will help your carrier...

-baba
Re: Advice me [message #176225 is a reply to message #175752] Wed, 07 June 2006 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ferrarist
Well, Cognos isn't a real datawarehousing tool. It's merely an OLAP tool that can be used on several databases. So if the database Cognos is used on is Oracle then I would go for this opportunity. Bussiness Intelligence is booming bussiness these days.

If you want to know more about the oracle database and datawarehousing then I'd stick with what you're doing now and look for a real datawarehousing Job with tools like OWB Laughing

Regards,
Rob
Re: Advice me [message #176257 is a reply to message #176225] Wed, 07 June 2006 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
navkrish

Baba & Rob,
Thanks for ur valuable suggestions…
I have few questions….
What is the advantage of COGNOS…..
Is it similar to TOAD?
What actually we do with that….
Do we write any stored procedures /packages/triggers using that tool….
What is Business Intelligence….

Ur comments are highly appreciated….

Naveen
Re: Advice me [message #176266 is a reply to message #176257] Wed, 07 June 2006 10:00 Go to previous message
Ferrarist
Haha, no Naveen COGNOS has'nt got anything to do with TOAD. This is a whole different ballgame. If you don't know what Business Intelligence is, than I'd suggest to you to stick with what you're doing now.

Just take a look at www.cognos.com to see what kind of software we're talking about. There really is no point in explaining what Business Intelligence is. Please Google on the term a bit and I'm sure you will find out.

Regards,
Rob
Previous Topic: ORA-01652: unable to extend temp segment by 128 in tablespace TEMP
Next Topic: Get inserted rows/get processed rows
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:30:03 CDT 2024